Lifestyle, health, wellness and, men's fashion and beauty.

Monday 5 September 2016

The perfect hangover cure: Urban Zen Cafe

So you wake up after the night before; all your clothes are still on, you smell of alcohol and regret -and your head is pounding. Oh wait, is that just me?  At least that was me last Sunday morning.  All I wanted to do is stay in bed and feel sorry for myself all day long, but I was determined to fighting 'the lazy' in me and doing something. Doing something in Liam land generally involves eating, so my cousin and I decided to get some grub to help cure the worst hangover I have ever had. We went to Urban Zen Yoga Studio & Cafe.
Urban Zen cafe sharing the cacti love.
Urban Zen's cafe is very local to me but somewhere I've never ventured to. I've been meaning to go for SO LONG though. 
Nothing like a quick read whilst you eat. There were a whole bunch of magazines and recipe books to gaze your eyes on.
The cafe serves divine home-made whole-food which is organic, locally sourced, has unrefined flour and sugar in it and is plant based. This is a refreshing change from all the food chains in Swansea, as many don't offer vegan and those that do aren't the best. The fact that Urban Zen Cafe is all vegan makes me wonder if I'm dreaming?  The world needs more places like this, don't you agree? If you're wondering if the food was tasty though, the answer is yes, yes, and yes again.  You can really tell the team have put a lot of thought into what food they're creating as it goes beyond the basic salads and falafel dishes that many vegan places offer. 

When I saw the menu, my heart immediately chose to eat one of their wholemeal wraps, which was filled with marinated tempeh, vegan mayo, avocado, tomato, hummus, lettuce and leaves. This was served with a beetroot and red cabbage coleslaw and a simple salad of spiralized cucumber, lettuce, red pepper, grated carrot and spring onions. I was so excited to eat the wrap specifically as I've never eaten tempeh. I know, I know, I'm a vegan who's never eaten tempeh? WEIRD.  Turns out it's pretty tasty! Teamed up with all the other ingredients, the wrap was moist and packed with flavour and their vegan mayo was to die for. The salad was also very tasty, and that's coming from someone who stays far away from salad. Just hearing the word is blasphemous usually. Urban Zen's salad has made my taste buds think otherwise as they are now craving it all over again.
Lunch.
Dessert.
Along with my meal, I ordered a "Tropical Trip" smoothie which was the perfect companion to my meal. It was a sweet blend of mango, coconut, banana and baobab, but the ingredient I tasted the most was coconut but that certainly wasn't a bad thing.  All together in this one meal, I got approximately 5 of my 5 a day, boom.  By the end of it I was pretty full, but they had desserts so I didn't stop there. My sweet tooth was saying 'Get one Liam. Do it' and I couldn't say no to the little guy. Plus it was vegan and had no nasty ingredients like cane sugar and white flour so it was guilt free and cruelty free. Sold. I decided on a gluten free chocolate peanut slice. It was super tasty, sweet and full of crunch, the only downside was the size of it as I could have eaten a whole tray of them. 1 is never enough, right?  They used coconut sugar for sweetness and it really worked.



Contrary to belief, you don't need greasy food to cure a hangover, at least that's what I've learnt from coming here. But I don't need to be hungover to return. As Arnold Schwarzenegger once said, "I'll be back".

Cafe rating: 

Where's your favourite place to eat at to nurse a hangover?

Liam

Related links:
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Design Created by pipdig